This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
This New Orleans French bread pizza is flat out delicious. Everything on it tastes soooo good. There isn’t a pizza like you might be used to. Instead, there are artichokes, salty olives, roasted red peppers and tender chicken strips. And of course, cheese.
You can make this pizza on a traditional crust. Or you can do like we did and use French bread. If you want a bit of heat, mix a little red pepper flake into the chicken mixture before spreading it into the bread. A bit different but fantastically different, we really enjoyed this New Orleans French bread pizza.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Shred it yourself and use the good stuff.
Also try my southwest grilled chicken French bread pizza.
New Orleans French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into thin strips (if you freeze the chicken for 30 minutes before cutting, it will slice much easier and thinner)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 6 1/2 ounce artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 7 ounce roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- ½ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place bread in the oven for a few minutes until it gets just a bit crispy. Remove.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken and garlic cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Do not overcook as the chicken will cook more in the oven.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the artichokes, peppers, olives, oregano and pepper and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon mixture onto the bread halves and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and bake 8-10 minutes or until bread is nice and crispy and the cheese is melted. Place under the broiler for 1 minute to lightly brown the cheese if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.