This New Orleans French bread pizza is flat out delicious. Everything on it tastes soooo good. There isn’t a pizza like you might be used to. Instead, there are artichokes, salty olives, roasted red peppers and tender chicken strips. And of course, cheese.
You can make this pizza on a traditional crust. Or you can do like we did and use French bread. If you want a bit of heat, mix a little red pepper flake into the chicken mixture before spreading it into the bread. A bit different but fantastically different, we really enjoyed this New Orleans French bread pizza.
Also try my southwest grilled chicken French bread pizza.
New Orleans French Bread Pizza
- 1 loaf French bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into thin strips (if you freeze the chicken for 30 minutes before cutting, it will slice much easier and thinner)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 6 1/2 ounce artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1 7 ounce roasted red peppers drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese shredded, divided
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place bread in the oven for a few minutes until it gets just a bit crispy. Remove.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken and garlic cook for 3-5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Do not overcook as the chicken will cook more in the oven.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the artichokes, peppers, olives, oregano and pepper and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Spoon mixture onto the bread halves and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in oven and bake 8-10 minutes or until bread is nice and crispy and the cheese is melted. Place under the broiler for 1 minute to lightly brown the cheese if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.