I’m a huge fan of Cin Chili Texas-style chili mix. It has a tremendous southwestern flavor with just enough kick, but not so much as to scare anyone off. Whenever I’m in Cincinnati I swing by Jungle Jim’s and grab a few packs of mix. But, sadly, sometimes I can’t make it to Jungle Jim’s. So I searched around and came across this copycat Cin Chili recipe. This mix makes downright good chili. It’s mighty close to the original. Close enough. There’s nothing but good flavor in this chili.
I add beans to my chili. I know, I know. Texas chili supposedly doesn’t contain beans (or ‘filler’ as some refer to it). If I was serving this chili over hot dogs I’d probably leave the beans out.
This copycat Cin chili is super easy to make. I whisk each spice mix in small bowls so I just add them in when needed. In no time at all I’m enjoying great chili.
Also try my copycat of the chili from Wendy’s.
Copycat Cin Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds ground beef or use chuck roast, cut into 3/4″ cubes
- 1 14 ounce beef broth
- 1 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce kidney beans rinsed and drained (optional)
- Your favorite chili garnishes
Spice mix #1
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon jalapeno powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
Spice mix #2
- 5 tablespoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon brown sugar
Spice mix #3
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
- Add meat and brown. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the beef broth and tomato sauce.
- Stir in spice mix #1. Cover and simmer for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spice mix #2. Add beans if using. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If chili gets too thick add a little water.
- Stir in spice mix #3. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with your favorite toppings.
Nutritional values are approximate.