My goodness, these Italian grinders were good. They’re so easy to make. The key is the tasty homemade marinara sauce. And fresh mozzarella. And crunchy bread. Ok, it’s all good. The same approach works great substituting meatballs for the ground meats, but we really liked them the way they were. After browning the meats I pulsed them a few times in a food processor to get a great fine texture. Not overly processed. Don’t go crazy on it.
These Italian grinders reminded me a bit of the Sloppy Joes I remember from my childhood, only done Italian style, and well, quite a bit tastier. I wouldn’t be afraid to add a few pepperoncinis to them either. Or some giardiniera.
Also check out my Italian hoagies.
- Brown beef and sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Drain. Season with salt and pepper as desired. (I like to pulse the meats in a food processor a few times to get a nice consistent texture with no clumps)
- Meanwhile, warm the marinara sauce in a small saucepan.
- Spoon about 1 cup of meat into each roll.
- Top meat with about 1/3 cup of marinara sauce.
- Top sandwiches with a few slices of cheese.
- Transfer sandwiches to sheet pans and place under the broiler until cheese is melted and rolls start to brown.
Nutritional values are approximate.