Note: This recipe was developed using the Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. If you are cooking using the Char-Broil Smoker-Roaster Grill you should cook with the lid open and the temperature set to High. You might also need to adjust the cooking time.
Why didn’t I think of this before? How could I not have known just how fantastic a bologna chub would be when roasted high-and-fast on a Char-Broil Big Easy? Well, now I’ve gone and done it, and done it good! And to make sure it was even better than I could’ve dreamed, I first rubbed the chub down with a big of Creole mustard. The mustard gave it just a little kick, a little something extra that you taste as you bite through the lovely light crust into warm bologna goodness. Yes, you need to make Creole bologna on your Char-Broil Big Easy today!
I sliced the cooked bologna thick and served it on warm buns topped with plenty of good ole yellow mustard, thick red onion slices, tomato, and lettuce. It’s the best darned bologna sandwich you can have.
It’s as good as time as any to point out (if it wasn’t obvious) that my bologna scoring skills are essentially non-existent. You don’t have to do it, but it does give the mustard (or whatever you are applying to the outside of the chub) a little something to hold on to. It’s completely optional, and if you’re as bad at it as I am, it’s ok. Don’t cut too deep, just 1/4″ – 1/2″ at the most.
Also try cooking up some Spam on your Big Easy. No really. Try it. You’ll thank me.
Creole Bologna on the Char-Broil Big Easy
- 5-6 pound bologna chubb packaging removed
- Creole mustard to taste (or substitute your favorite rub, mustard, sauce… you name it)
- Fire up your Big Easy.
- Score the bologna as desired.
- Rub all sides of the chub with the mustard or whatever you are using.
- Place chub in the Big Easy basket and lower into the cooker.
- Cook for about an hour. Keep an eye on the chub after 40 minutes. Depending on conditions it might char quicker than 1 hour. The chub is already cooked, so you’re just giving it some color, extra flavor and good looks.
- Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing as desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.