From the moment i ran across this great idea for the Big Kahuna dogs from the menu at Duke’s Gourmet Hot Dogs (sadly, now closed) I knew one thing: I was going to go big on the pineapple and spicy on the BBQ sauce. Sure, there’s some Canadian bacon down in there too, just enough to give you that great hammy (not smoked) flavor, but for me the winner-winner hot dog dinner is the combination of sweet pineapple and spicy BBQ sauce.
I didn’t throw the pineapple on the grill, which definitely would’ve made them even sweeter. All I had on hand were pineapple chucks, and those would’ve found their way between the grill grates. If you have pineapple slices just toss them on the grill for a few minutes on each side. Then chop them into bite-sized pieces.
Also try my blackjack dogs. I love them too!
Big Kahuna Dogs
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 8 pineapple slices
- 4 Canadian bacon sliced
- spicy BBQ sauce
- Fire up your grill and cook the hot dogs and warm the buns.
- Toss the pineapple slices onto the grill and grill a few minutes on each side. Remove and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble dogs by first lining the toasted buns with a few slices of Canadian bacon.
- Add the hot dog. Top with the pineapple and plenty of spicy BBQ sauce.
- Serve with plenty of paper towels.
Nutritional values are approximate.