Boy, crispy bacon… spicy Mexican chorizo sausage… cheese… I could actually just have these bacon-wrapped Mexican potatoes for dinner. By themselves. Nothing else. Just give me a platter of them and check on me in 15 minutes to see if I need more. Well, not ‘if’. Go ahead and bring me some more. They’re like grilled potato skins taken to a whole new level. There is so much flavor packed into every bite. What a happy day it was when I first made them!
I love the spicy kick from chorizo in these bacon-wrapped Mexican potatoes. But, if you don’t, you can easily change these potatoes up to be a little more mellow by making them Italian-style. Substitute crumbled cooked mild Italian sausage for the chorizo, mozzarella for the queso fresco, and sour cream for the crema. Excellent! You’ll want to make a big batch and serve them as appetizers at your next party!
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. It makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
Also try my grilled volcano potatoes.
This recipe was inspired by a recipe from Aida Mollenkamp.
Bacon-Wrapped Mexican Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Brush potatoes with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast until tender, 20-30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking (you can also make these in the oven, so keep your oven going if you’re going to cook these indoors).
- Meanwhile, crumble the chorizo into a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until browned. Remove from heat. Note: You want to get the chorizo fairly well crumbled. If you are having trouble doing so, just let the cooked chorizo cool a bit then pulss a few times in a food processor.
- Cut just enough of the bottom of each potato so that they can stand up straight. Then cut just enough off the top so you can scoop them out. Take a small mellon baller or spoon and spoon out the insides.
- In a bowl combine the chorizo and cheese and spoon into each potato.
- Wrap a halved piece of bacon around each potato and secure with a toothpick.
- Place on the grill over indirect heat and cook until the bacon starts to crisp, about 20 minutes, or bake in the oven at 425 F.
- Serve topped with a small dollop of Mexican crema or cream cheese and garnish with green onions or cilantro.
Nutritional values are approximate.