I’ve made my share of Stove Top Chicken Stuffing. It’s fast, easy, cheap and good. In my bachelor days you’d always find a box or two in my pantry. Now that I cook a lot more from scratch, I decided it was time to give making a copycat of the classic boxed stuffing a shot. And you know what? Man, was it ever as good as the boxed stuff and mighty fun and easy to make!
I will definitely double (or triple) this recipe for copycat Stove Top Chicken Stuffing next time. I admit, as much as I love Thanksgiving turkey, I’m really more partial to the stuffing and mashed potatoes, each loaded up with tons of gravy. And for me, my go-to gravy is my make-ahead holiday gravy. I don’t just double the gravy recipe either. More like 6 times as much as the recipe states. Maybe 7. Or 8. Like I said, I love gravy.
Also try my crazy-good slow cooker holiday green bean casserole.
Copycat Stove Top Chicken Stuffing
- 10 slices Texas toast cut or torn into 1/2" x 1/2" pieces. Or any thick-sliced bread
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 rib celery chopped small
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Spread the bread pieces out on a large baking sheet. Lay the sheet on the counter top for one day, stirring occasionally. You want the bread to get slightly crunchy and dry.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Note: Baking is only required if you desired a stuffing with a more crunchy texture.
- In a pan or pot large enough to hold all of the bread, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the celery and saute for 5 minutes.
- And all remaining ingredients (do not add the bread yet). Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the bread crumbs and gently stir to coat. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff the mixture and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- If baking, transfer to a 9" x 9" baking dish that has been sprayed with non-stick spray and bake for 20 minutes or until the desired color and texture has been achieved.
Nutritional values are approximate.