My first trip to a Primanti Brothers restaurant was years ago in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania. I was always sad that there wasn’t one in Indiana… until now! Yep, we have Primanti Brothers! Woo hoo! Anita and I ate lunch there the other day. We both ordered salads, even though they are famous for their sandwiches. The Buffalo and Crispy chicken entree salads are very good. For a starter we ordered the Terror Tots. It took about 5 seconds for us both to agree: we had to make them at home. So here it is, my copycat of Primanti Brothers Terror Tots. Crispy tots topped with cheese, bacon, spicy Sriracha sauce, and even spicier fresh jalapeno slices. You cannot possibly eat these fast enough.
The salads at Primanti Brothers were incredibly fresh, as were the jalapeno slices on the Terror Tots. And they weren’t that hot. They in fact were quite tame, and very tasty. I saw the fear in Anita’s face when they first came to our table. She was worried they would be too hot. But, they must grow their peppers specially lightly spicy because we thought they were perfect. They all disappeared.
Serve these tots with my copycat of the famous Primanti Brothers sandwich.
Copycat Primanti Brothers Terror Tots
- 1/2 bag tater tots extra crispy frozen, heated per package instructions (Of course, Ore-Ida is the best!)
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese melted (you can also use shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese)
- Bacon bits freshly cooked bacon, chopped fine is best
- Sriracha sauce
- jalapenos sliced
- Remove the tater tots from the oven and transfer to a platter.
- Drizzle with the melted cheese.
- Sprinkle with the bacon bits.
- Squirt a few lines of Sriracha. Don't be too shy.
- Top with the fresh jalapeno slices and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.