This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I use a Vortex insert on several of my charcoal grills (love my Webers!), usually for making chicken of some variation or another. This time I thought I’d try something new and see if I could make steak fries just as easily and just as tasty. I could not have been happier with the results from these Seasoned Steak Fries using the Vortex. Tasty, creamy, seasoned perfectly, with a slight crunch. Perfect fries to go with my ‘fried’ chicken.
Seasoned steak fries using the Vortex are as easy to make as fries out of a bag from the freezer, really. The only thing you have to watch for is letting the fries slip thru your grill grates. On my smaller grills that’s not a problem since the grates are pretty narrow. The grate on my Weber Performer is a bit bigger, though, so I keep the fries at an angle to the grates so they don’t slip on through.
These steak fries are a great side dish for my Louisiana crispy fried chicken also made using the Vortex.
Seasoned Steak Fries using the Vortex
- Fire up your charcoal grill with the Vortex insert.
- Rinse the potatoes and pat dry.
- Cut potatoes in half, then half again, and finally in half one more time. If your potatoes are exceptionally large you may want to halve them one more time but don’t make the fries too small.
- Place fries in a large bowl. Add cold water and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and add fresh cold water. Let sit for 5 more minutes.
- Drain the water and transfer the potatoes to a large towel. Pat dry.
- Wipe the bowl dry and return the potatoes.
- Add a splash of oil and toss to coat.
- Add the seasoning mix and toss to coat.
- Transfer fries to the grill. Place them at an angle to the grates so they don’t fall through.
- Close the grill and cook for 1 hour, rotating the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes. You can add other foods, such as wings or chicken pieces and cook them at the same time.
- Start checking for doneness after 45 minutes. Mine took the full hour.
- Remove from the grill and season with more salt before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.