This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
Any day that includes firing up my Weber Performer grill outfitted with a Vortex insert and cooking ‘fried’ chicken is a good day. Actually, it’s a fantastic day. I’m willing to bet that in a blind taste test you could not tell the difference between this Louisiana crispy fried chicken using the Vortex and chicken fried in oil. And you’ll never go back to that deep-fried stuff either. This way is easier, tastier and just flat-out better.
This is seriously crispy chicken. Seasoned perfectly. Moist and tender meat. Make extra because you’ll need it. And don’t expect any leftovers either.
If you want a little extra crunchy skin, brush the tops of the chicken with just a little bit of vegetable oil 5 minutes before removing them from the grill. That’s all it takes.
I’ve made fried chicken using the Vortex many, many times. Sometimes I make my own batter or coating, sometimes I just use store-bought, like the Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Fried Chicken batter I used this time. No matter what I use, it’s always fantastic. You can’t wrong with this Louisiana crispy fried chicken using the Vortex. It’ll amaze you and your guests.
Also try my spicy BBQ fried chicken if you want a little more kick to your ‘fried’ chicken.
Louisiana Crispy Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- 8 chicken thighs skin-on (or your favorite cuts of chicken)
- Louisiana Seasoned Crispy Chicken Fry Batter
- Fire up your Vortex, filling it all the way with charcoal. Let the coals get good and hot, keeping both the top and bottom grill vents wide open.
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Working in batches, place a little of the fry batter into a resealable bag or container and add a few pieces of chicken. Seal and toss gently to coat.
- Transfer chicken to the grill around the Vortex.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F as measured in several locations. I have not found it necessary to rotate the grill lid, but if you want to, rotate it 45 degrees every 15 minutes.
Nutritional values are approximate.