I made seasoned steak fries on my Weber Performer grill using the Vortex BBQ insert the other day. They came out really, really good. Which got me thinking… could I apply much the same technique to thinner cuts of potatoes, giving me crispy skinny fries? Yep, you bet I could and did! These seasoned skinny fries using the Vortex were absolutely fantastic.
I ‘fry’ chicken using my Vortex on a pretty regular basis. At least on my Performer that leaves me some spare room for other things and by other things I now mean fries. What’s better than ‘fried’ chicken and crispy seasoned fries for lunch? Nothing. Well, Vortex chicken fingers are might good too, actually. But these Seasoned Skinny Fries using the Vortex are easy, quick, and tasty. Oh and crunchy. I love fries with crunchy outsides and tender fluffy insides.
Seasoned Skinny Fries using the Vortex
- 2 Russet potatoes cut into thin sticks
- Vegetable oil
- Fire up your charcoal grill using the Vortex insert. You’ll want to use a larger grill, 22″ or bigger.
- Meanwhile, place the fries into a large bowl of cold water.
- Let soak for 5 minutes then drain.
- Add water again and soak until you’re about ready to start cooking.
- Make the seasoning by combining all ingredients.
- Drain the fries and pat dry. I like to dump them out onto a large towel and give them a good patting, tossing a few times to make sure I get them all dry.
- Transfer fries back to the bowl (wiping it dry first) and add just a splash of oil.
- Sprinkle with the seasoning, to taste. I usually use about half of the recipe, but I like mine spicy. You might want to start with 1/4th of the recipe (2 teaspoons or thereabouts). Toss to coat.
- Transfer the fries to your grill. Keep them along the edges of the grate and at an angle to the grate so they don’t fall in.
- Cover (keeping the top vent open) and cook for 45 minutes-1 hour, rotating the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes.
- After 30 minutes carefully flip the fries, checking for doneness.
- Remove the fries once they are getting golden brown.
- Let cool slightly. The fries will crisp more as they cool.
- Sprinkle with a little salt before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.