This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
This is not my first time grilling radishes, but it’s definitely the first time I’ve grilled black radishes. ‘Normal’ little ole red radishes are absolutely delicious when grilled, and they’re something very different. When I came across black radishes I had to grab them even though I had no idea what to expect.
My first bite of a raw black radish was spicy. Very spicy. Much hotter than the hottest red radish I’d ever had. But grilled, the black radishes took on a wonderful sweetness. They were no longer overly spicy, instead they were deliciously tame.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. It makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
I would make these again and again. I found the radishes in a specialty market, but hopefully they’ll become more mainstream in time because they are really awesome, and not just grilled. They really weren’t much more expensive than ‘normal’ mushrooms, and they were were worth the extra expense for something new and different. They would be great on sandwiches or salads… yum!
Also try my grilled radishes with gorgonzola butter.
Grilled Black Radishes
- Fire up your grill for direct grilling.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Add radishes to the center of the foil. Sprinkle with the garlic, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Top the radishes with the ice cube.
- Fold the edges of the foil over and pinch to seal.
- Place on the grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve immediately with more salt and pepper.
Nutritional values are approximate.