This is not my first time grilling radishes, but it’s definitely the first time I’ve grilled black radishes. ‘Normal’ little ole red radishes are absolutely delicious when grilled, and they’re something very different. When I came across black radishes I had to grab them even though I had no idea what to expect.
My first bite of a raw black radish was spicy. Very spicy. Much hotter than the hottest red radish I’d ever had. But grilled, the black radishes took on a wonderful sweetness.
I would make these again and again. I found them in a specialty market, but hopefully they’ll become more mainstream in time because they are really awesome, and not just grilled. They would be great on sandwiches or salads… yum!
Grilled Black Radishes
- Fire up your grill for direct grilling.
- Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Add radishes to the center of the foil. Sprinkle with the garlic, butter, and salt and pepper.
- Top the radishes with the ice cube.
- Fold the edges of the foil over and pinch to seal.
- Place on the grill for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Serve immediately with more salt and pepper.
Nutritional values are approximate.