I could make (and eat) ‘fried’ chicken using my Vortex BBQ all day long. It has never let me down. It has never been anything but easy. This copycat of Church’s fried chicken was no exception. Incredibly crunchy skin. Unbelievably moist and flavorful meat. And as easy as coating it, grilling it, eating it. Done.
There are no tricks or special handshakes that you need to know to get fried chicken right using the Vortex. And although a lot of sites say to rotate the lid every 15 minutes while cooking, I’ve not found that it makes a difference. I don’t over-crowd my grill and I make sure I have a super-hot fire. If you’ve found that rotating the lid is a requirement, let me know but so far, I’ve not had anything but success just keeping the lid right where it is. I also do not flip my chicken while it is cooking. Doing so will result in ‘batter loss’, a bad thing. Just keep it right where it is.
Also try my insanely-awesome proper pub fried chicken, another fantastic recipe for deliciously crispy tasty chicken cooked using the Vortex. You can also use off-the-shelf fried chicken coating to make spectacular chicken on the Vortex. Check out my Kentucky Kernel chicken too!
Copycat Church's Fried Chicken Using the Vortex
- 8 pieces chicken I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
For the dry mixture
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup Bisquick
- 1 envelope Italian dressing mix
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
For the wet mixture
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup cold water
For a crispier coating
- Vegetable oil
- Fire up your grill with the Vortex BBQ. Let the coals get good and hot.
- Combine all of the dry mixture ingredients in a pie plate.
- In another pie plate, whisk together the eggs and water.
- Working in batches, dip the chicken into the wet mixture, then into the dry mixture.
- One more time, dip the chicken into the wet mixture and then the dry mixture.
- Transfer chicken to your grill grate around the Vortex and cook until done, about 45 minutes.
- Lightly brush the chicken with oil the last 5 minutes of cooking to get a crispier skin.
Nutritional values are approximate.