One thing is guaranteed. Put a bean salad in front of me, and it’s going to disappear. For me, it doesn’t get any better or easier. The perfect contrast in textures and flavors. A little sweet. A little tang. There are hundreds of variations on bean salad, and I am pretty sure I’ve made and enjoyed them all. This tangy bean salad is no exception. Made in no time, but better after it gets happy in the fridge for a few hours first.
Like with any good ole bean salad you can change this tangy bean salad up to suit your tastes. I think a little slices fresh jalapeno is great if you like a little kick. Roasted red bell pepper instead of green bell pepper is also a nice change. You can get roasted peppers in a jar. They’re nicely sweet and really tasty.
Also try my mom’s world-famous bean salad.
Tangy Bean Salad
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 15 ½ ounce green beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 15 ½ ounce wax beans canned, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce kidney beans canned, rinsed and drained
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and oil.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and mix.
- Add beans to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
Nutritional values are approximate.