This slow cooker white chocolate peppermint pretzel candy was divine. I don’t know why I didn’t think of melting chocolate in a slow cooker. I’ve always been somewhat challenged at melting chocolate, be it in the microwave or in a double boiler.
The slow cooker made it as easy as it could be, turning out the perfectly creamy smooth chocolate. They are nice and crunchy and packed with peppermint flavor. These were an instant holiday success in our household (and at Anita’s office!).
The chocolate mixture in this slow cooker white chocolate peppermint pretzel candy was very easy to work with. I didn’t have to rush to get the mix onto the baking sheets before it began to set. I had plenty of time to do it right.
This candy was easy to make in part because of the shortening. I think that the low-and-slow melting of the chocolate in the slow cooker also helped. I plan on using this same approach with any future chocolate goodies that I make.
Also try my chocolate-dipped peanut butter Bugles.
Slow Cooker White Chocolate Peppermint Pretzel Candy
- 5 tablespoons butter flavored shortening
- 26 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 15 ounce pretzel twists crushed
- 1/2 cup peppermint candies finely crushed, plus more for topping
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place the shortening into your slow cooker set to low.
- Add the white chocolate chips. Cover and let melt at least 20 minutes, until creamy smooth, stirring often. Meanwhile, line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Stir in the peppermint extract.
- Slowly stir in the pretzel pieces and 1/2 cup of the crushed candies. Make sure they are all well combined.
- Spoon the mixture out onto the baking sheets. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed peppermint candies. Let sit at least 30 minutes until firm.
- Melt the semi-sweet chocolate chips per the package instructions. Drizzle or pipe over the pretzel candies. Let cool before serving or packaging.
Nutritional values are approximate.