For years now I’ve been browning ground beef in my homemade taco seasoning to make tacos. On a whim I decided to make slow cooker taco meat. Boy, am I ever glad that I did. Hours in the slow cooker makes browned beef even better. Tender, juicy and tasty. Perfect for taco night!
I used a very lean ground beef when I made this taco meat. You don’t want to deal with a bunch of fat floating around the top of your slow cooker. Ewwwww. No, use at least a 90/10 (that’s 90% meat, 10% fat) mix and crumble it well when frying it.
Any extra taco meat freezes very well so don’t be afraid to double the recipe if your slow cooker can handle it.
You’ll want to serve my delicious Mexican rice on the side.
Slow Cooker Taco Meat
- Crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook until just about done.
- Add the onion and stir. Cook until the beef is cooked through.
- Transfer meat and onions and all remaining ingredients to a slow cooker.
- Stir and cook on low 4-6 hours.
Nutritional values are approximate.