This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I keep having to pinch myself when I make ‘fried’ chicken on my charcoal grill using the Vortex. Am I dreaming? I’m really eating deep-fried chicken, right? But it’s not. No oil was used in making Granny’s Secret Fried chicken using the Vortex, other than a very light coating at the end to help crisp up the skin. That’s it. The skin is amazingly crunchy and crazy delicious. The meat is so juicy that it drips all down your forearms. And tender? Super perfect texture, bite after bite. Seriously, this is crazy good fried chicken with the added bonus of being made on a grill without oil.
The ‘secret’ to Granny’s Secret Fried chicken using the Vortex is using Aunt Jemima’s pancake mix for the coating. I’ve never used it on chicken. I will be from now on. It crisps up perfectly. Grandma’s secret is out! This is a super-easy recipe that takes very little time to produce great chicken. Once it’s on the grill, it’s pretty much no-fuss, just wait for the deliciousness to come!
Granny’s Secret Fried Chicken using the Vortex
For the brine
- Combine all brine ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the salt is dissolved and the honey is melted. Remove from heat and let cool.
For the chicken
- Place the chicken in a large resealable container. Add the cooled brine. Refrigerate for 3 1/2 hours. Turn the chicken every 30 minutes or so if not fully submerged.
- Fire up your Vortex. Fill it completely with charcoal.
- Remove chicken from brine and rinse.
- In a medium bowl, combine the egg, butter and milk.
- In a resealable bag, combine the pancake mix, salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, dip chicken into the egg mixture. Shake off excess then place in the bag. Seal and shake to coat.
- Transfer chicken to the grill around the Vortex. Close the lid and cook for 30-45 minutes. Turn the lid every 15 minutes. Cook until the chicken reaches 165 F as tested in several places.
- Lightly brush the chicken with oil and let cook another 5 minutes before removing.
Nutritional values are approximate.