The beauty of the Vortex BBQ insert is that you can take pretty much any deep-fryer recipe and use it on a charcoal grill. It doesn’t have to be for chicken either. This Hidden Valley Ranch fried chicken using the Vortex is a perfect example of just how amazing it is. The meat is crazy tender, unbelievable moist. And the skin? Well, let’s just say I leave it for last because it’s almost like dessert. A true treat.
Hidden Valley Ranch fried chicken using the Vortex is incredibly easy to make. And there’s no mess or clean up like if you’d fried the chicken on the stovetop or in a deep fryer. It’s why I love all my Vortexes. I have some for my big charcoal grills and some for my smaller charcoal grills. Which one I use depends on how much I’m cooking, but no matter what, everything comes out fantastic.
I like to brush my fried chicken with a very light coating of oil just before I pull it off the grill. I give it a few more minutes to cook, then I get extra-crispy skin. It’s that extra little touch that really makes the final product feel and taste and look like it was deep-fried.
Also try my Granny’s Secret Fried Chicken.
Hidden Valley Ranch Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- 8 pieces chicken I used skin-on, bone-in thighs
- 1 cup Hidden Valley Ranch dressing prepared per package instructions
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- vegetable oil
- Place chicken in a resealable container or bag. Add the dressing. Seal and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Fire up your grill with the Vortex insert. Let the coals get good and hot.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off any excess.
- Combine the pepper, flour and salt in a pie plate, bowl or baggie. Add the chicken and coat well.
- Transfer chicken to your grill around the Vortex. Do not let the pieces overlap or touch.
- Cook for approximate 45 minutes or until the chicken is done. Test for 165 F in several places then remove.
- If desired, lightly brush the chicken with oil and let cook another 5 minutes. This will produce even crunchier chicken.
- Let cool slightly and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.