This is how you make a huge pistachio fan out of me. I love smoked nuts, but until now I’d never smoked pistachios before. Well, let me tell you folks! Good doesn’t even come close to describing how yummy these nuts were! I set out to smoke nuts to use in ice cream (I know, right? You know that’ll be awesome!). I doubt that half of them survived for my ice cream plans… I couldn’t help myself.
For the seasoning on my smoked pistachios I went with Sweet Red from AlbuKirky Seasonings. It has a nice sweet heat flavor to it, the perfect contrasting flavors for the nuts. I seasoned the nuts pretty liberally with it, too. Since the nuts aren’t shelled a lot of that flavor does end up on the shell. So by adding more I increased the amount of seasoning that made it’s way inside… and oh, was I ever rewarded for my efforts!
- 2 pounds pistachios raw, unshelled
- olive oil
- Your favorite seasoning or BBQ rub I used Sweet Red from AlbuKirky Seasonings
- Fire up your smoker for 250 F cooking. Use a light wood such as apple or peach.
- Place the nuts in a large bowl and lightly (very lightly) drizzle with a little oil. For 1 pound of nuts I used less than 1/2 tablespoon of oil.
- Toss the nuts to coat. Now, sprinkle them liberally with the seasoning. Now is not the time to be shy. Load up on it and toss to coat.
- Transfer nuts to your smoker. I use a grill mat to keep the nuts from falling thru the grates. Smoke for 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so.
- Remove, shell and devour.
Nutritional values are approximate.