This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
We both absolutely love making ‘fried’ chicken on our Weber Jumbo Joe or Performer using the Vortex BBQ. We can’t stop being amazed as to how much like ‘real’ fried chicken it is. From the crunchy skin to moist, tender, delicious meat, you cannot beat it. After trying literally 100s of recipes, this easy Cajun fried chicken using the Vortex one is our go-to, easy technique. The end result is incredible.
You can use the same approach as I did for making this easy Cajun fried chicken using the Vortex for your own variation. I am partial to hot sauce, but if you’re not, you can leave it out. And I’m partial to Cajun or Creole seasoning, but any seasoning mix will work. However, steer clear of any rub or mix that contains sugars as those will tender to burn with the high heat from the Vortex.
Easy Cajun Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- Combine the buttermilk and hot sauce in a resealable container. Add the chicken pieces. If the chicken isn't completely covered, add more buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Fire up your grill with the Vortex BBQ in the center. Fill the Vortex completely with coals and let them light completely before adding the chicken.
- Combine the flour and seasoning in a large baggie, bowl or pie plate.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk mixture and shake off any excess. Add to the flour mixture and coat well.
- Transfer chicken to the grill and close the lid with the vents wide open. Cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F. You may turn the lid 90% every 15 minutes if desired, but I haven't found that it matters much on a smaller charcoal grill. On larger ones I do rotate the lid.
- Lightly brush the chicken with some oil and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.