There are two choices when it comes to making ‘fried’ chicken using a Vortex. You can make your own batter from scratch or you can use a mix from the store. I’ve done both time and time again and have never ever been disappointed. This time I picked up a box of Fry Krisp Krispy Country chicken mix. It’s the easiest mix in the world, giving you nicely crunchy, juicy, flavorful chicken in less than an hour with no oil used for frying.
I do like to brush my chicken with just a bit of oil just before I pull it off the grill. It gives the chicken a bit more crunch and coats any leftover batter that might be hanging around. It’s completely optional, but I always do it.
Also try my easy Cajun fried chicken using the Vortex.
Krispy Country Chicken using the Vortex
- 4 chicken pieces I prefer bone-in, skin on thighs but any cuts will do
- Fry Krisp Krispy Country chicken mix
- Vegetable oil
- Fire up your grill with the Vortex BBQ. Let the coals get good and hot.
- Prepare chicken per package instructions.
- Transfer chicken to your grill grate around the Vortex and cook until done, about 45 minutes.
- Lightly brush the chicken with oil the last 5 minutes of cooking to get a crispier skin.
Nutritional values are approximate.