This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
I’ve made this creamy, tasty, bacony loaded baked potato salad twice now. And I’m not ashamed to admit that the second time I made it, I unintentionally made a boo-boo. I was relying on my (fading) memory, and completely forgot to bake the salad. Well, you know what? It was just as fantastic as the baked version! Either way, I felt like I was biting into a seriously loaded up baked potato (my favorite kind). So hot or cold, dig in!
Just about any potato will do in this loaded baked potato salad, but I tend to use Yukons because they add a very buttery flavor. I also prefer to steam my potato chunks instead of boil them. Tossing and beating and bagging around in a pot is a good way to turn a nice square potato piece into a marble-looking potato in no time.
I recently discovered Blue Plate mayonnaise, which I think is the best around. If you can’t find it locally you can pick it up online for a fair price.
This recipe uses shredded cheese. I always hand-shred my cheese. It’s so much better than using the pre-shredded stuff!
Speaking of baked potatoes, try my go-to, never-failed technique for making the perfect baked potato.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until just soft. Note: I prefer to steam my potatoes so that they keep their shape better, but boiling them is just fine. Drain.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients, reserving some of the crumbled bacon, green onions and cheese.
- Fold to combine.
To serve cold
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve topped with reserved bacon, green onions and cheese.
To serve hot
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Transfer potato mixture to a baking dish.
- Top with reserved bacon, green onions and cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Add bacon, onions and cheese (reserve some of each for top).
- Mix with potatoes.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Top with reserved cheese, onions, and bacon.
- Bake 350 for 10-15 minutes (until cheese melts).
Nutritional values are approximate.