If you’re craving garlic flavor, you’ve come to the right place. My buttery garlic fried chicken made using the Vortex brings the garlic punch and then some. And crunchy skin? Craving that too? Got you covered there, too. This is some great chicken. Everyone will think you slaved for hours and had to deep-fry the chicken, but nope. No deep fryer here! No big huge bucket of oil required! Just a charcoal grill, some charcoal, a Vortex and a small number of ingredients and in no time you’ve got crazy good, amazing chicken!
I’ve found that just about any recipe for deep-fried chicken can be adapted for use on the Vortex. This buttery garlic fried chicken using the Vortex is another great example. The key is to not have overly-thick batter. My experience has been that thick, pancake batter-like batter cooks unevenly and doesn’t end up with the crunch you are wanting. You’ll find that this recipe produces fantastic crunch while keeping the chicken moist, tender and super tasty. There’s no question that this chicken packs in both the butter and garlic flavors either.
Buttery Garlic Fried Chicken using the Vortex
For the chicken
For the dredge
For the chicken
- Place the chicken in a large bowl or resealable container.
- Combine the oil, garlic powder, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add to the chicken and toss gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 24 hours (preferred).
For the dredge
- Fire up your grill with a Vortex full of charcoal. While it gets hot, prepare the chicken.
- In a pie plate or shallow bowl, whisk together the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In another pie plate or shallow bowl, lightly beat the egg whites.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Dip pieces into the egg whites and shake off excess.
- Transfer chicken to flour to coat.
- Return chicken to the egg whites and coat again. Shake off excess.
- Transfer chicken to flour again and coat. Shake off excess and transfer to a wire rack or plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to the grill around the Vortex.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until chicken reads at least 165 F.
- Spoon half of the garlic butter from below over tops of chicken and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve plated with remaining garlic butter spooned over top of chicken.
For the garlic butter
- In a small skillet on med heat, melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, minced garlic and water. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add remaining 7 tablespoons until melted. Remove from heat and pour into small bowl. Add minced parsley, salt and black pepper and whisk together. Spoon or brush over tops of the chicken pieces right before serving.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add remaining butter and stir until melted.
- Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Stir.
- Reduce heat to low and keep warm until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.