This Korean fried chicken using the Vortex was right up my alley. As always with the Vortex, the chicken is cooked perfectly. Tender and juicy and delicious. The batter makes for an incredible crunchy coating. I mean, crazy crunchy goodness! And the sauce? Score! Asian flavors with a great spiciness. This is a different tasting chicken than the usual southern-inspired versions I make on a regular basis. And I do mean regular. The Vortex makes awesome chicken.
This Korean fried chicken using the Vortex ain’t no wimpy chicken! I added more sriracha than called for because, hey, I like a little kick! I admit that I doubled the sauce ingredients, and I did end up with a little sauce leftover which of course found it’s way onto chicken wings!
You can tame down the hot sauce and still have some great-tasting fantastic chicken. Or make half a batch mild and half a batch hot! No matter how you do it, it’s impossible to go wrong with chicken cooked using a Vortex. Impossible! It’ll always have crunchy skin. And it’ll always have tender, juicy meat. Each and every time.
Korean Fried Chicken using the Vortex
For the chicken
For the chicken
- Combine the salt and water in a large bowl or container. Stir until the salt is dissolved then add the chicken. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Combine 3/4 cup of cornstarch and 2 teaspoons of baking powder in a bowl or large baggie. Working in patches, remove the chicken pieces from the brine and pat dry. Transfer to the cornstarch mixture and coat well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup of cornstarch, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 3/4 cups of flour. While still whisking, pour in the beer and create a smooth batter.
- Fire up your grill with the Vortex. Get the coals good and hot, just ashed over.
- Remove the chicken from the cornstarch mixture and shake off any excess. Dunk into the batter a few times and shake off any excess. Transfer to the grill around the Vortex.
- Once the chicken hits 165 F as measured in several locations, brush several times with the sauce. Alternatively, remove the chicken from the grill and dunk into the sauce.
For the sauce
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until combined. Keep warm until ready to use.
Nutritional values are approximate.