A Vortex BBQ insert and a charcoal grill is a marriage made in heaven. I cannot tell you how often I use my Vortex, but it’s practically a daily thing for me. Recipes like this Amish fried chicken are why I keep firing up: fantastic, like-fried-in-oil chicken, with crazy good crunchy skin. Every bite is perfect, flavorful and moist. It quickly and easily can become an obsession to make fried chicken using a Vortex. Trust me.
Amish fried chicken has that great down-home, grandma-made-it flavor. It’s all about the seasoning… and well, a little bit of butter too. You can’t beat the flavor and you can’t beat the moist, tender meat, thanks to the Vortex. This is a winner recipe, and easy to make to boot. Don’t have marjoram? A little oregano will work just as well. Ditto thyme.
Also try my Vortex honey fried chicken.
Amish Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 8 pieces chicken I prefer bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Load up your Vortex with charcoal and light them while preparing the chicken.
- Add oil to a small skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and belt. Stir well. Remove from heat.
- Combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt and marjoram in a large resealable bag or a bowl.
- Pour half of the oil and butter mixture into a small bowl. Brush onto all sides of the chicken.
- Working in batches, transfer the chicken to the flour mixture. Seal the bag and shake to coat, or dredge well in the bowl. Remove to a plate and finish coating the remaining pieces.
- Transfer chicken to around the Vortex (now that the coals are ashed over). Close the grill lid and cook 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160 F. Rotate the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes while cooking.
- Brush (using a different brush than the one you used on the raw chicken) the reserved oil and butter mixture over the tops of the chicken and cook another 5 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F and the skin is crispy.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.