Sometimes, I just want something easy, something hassle-free, for a nice lunch on a cold day. No troubles, but flavorful. This celery and cheddar soup takes only a few minutes to put together, and just a few hours to cook in a slow cooker. When it’s done, you get to enjoy a creamy, smooth cheesy soup that has a wonderful hint of celery. This soup does not skimp on flavor. It looks deceptively fancy, but it’s so easy to make.
The only change I’d make to this celery and cheddar soup would be to substitute a 4 ounce jar of pimentos (drained) for the red bell pepper. Sometimes in winter good peppers can be hard to find. Pimentos (or chopped jarred roasted red peppers) make for a great substitute.
Every time I make a recipe that calls for shredded cheese I remember how happy I am that I bought a cheese grater/shredder. No more of that pre-shredded stuff for me. It doesn’t melt right.
You can also make this soup on the stovetop. Just bring to a slow simmer and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes.
Celery and Cheddar Soup
- 2 10.75 ounce cream celery soup
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ cups half and half
- green onion chopped, for garnish
- Place all but the half and half and green onion into a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours.
- Stir in the half and half and heat another 30 minutes.
- Serve garnished with green onion.
Nutritional values are approximate.