Give me a grill, a Vortex full of lit charcoal, and a few pieces of chicken and I’m one happy guy. One of my all-time favorite things to make on my grill is ‘fried’ chicken using the Vortex. I’ve made countless variations, all fantastic. Like this Alabama White Sauce fried chicken. Just like all my others, it tastes and looks just like chicken fried in oil. The tangy Alabama white BBQ sauce is different. If you’ve never had it, I highly recommend it. It’s great on any chicken, fried, grilled, roasted, you name it.
The Vortex always produces the most tender, juicy chicken you can find. This is a great, easy way to prepare delicious chicken. The addition of the Alabama White Sauce makes it different than ‘normal’ fried or traditional tomato-based BBQ chicken. Try it
I have a few Vortex inserts because, well, I have a few grills. By far my favorite setup is the Vortex in my Weber Performer. I can easily fit 8 large bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts around the grill without crowding them. They have never come out anything but fantastic. It’s as easy as you can get
Alabama White Sauce Fried Chicken using the Vortex
- Load up your Vortex full of charcoal and light. Meanwhile, get the chicken ready.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Place chicken in a large resealable container or bag.
- Once the charcoal is fully lit, remove the chicken from the bag and shake off any excess.
- Transfer chicken to around the Vortex and close the lid, keeping the top vent open.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165 F. Turn the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes of cook time if desired.
- Lightly brush the chicken with some of the white sauce and continue cooking another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with more white sauce for dipping if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.