It’s not that I don’t like ‘normal’ zucchini. I mean, yeah, it’s pretty ok in a stir-fry. But, deep fried with Parmesan cheese? Now THAT’S yummy zucchini! You can’t beat the flavor and the crunch. And of course, you gotta dip them in Ranch dressing. You’re already committed at this point. Sure, it’s not quite as healthy as stir-fried. Or raw on a salad. But, sometimes, you gotta let go and this… well, what a way to go!
You can substitute Italian bread crumbs for the unseasoned bread crumbs and Italian seasoning if you want. I preferred to be able to amp up the Italian seasoning in my deep fried Parmesan zucchini, though. And make sure you drain the ‘coins’ well after frying. They’ll stay crisper that way.
Deep Fried Parmesan Zucchini
- Heat oil to 350 F in a Dutch oven or deep fryer. You can also use a skillet.
- Rinse the zucchini and pat completely dry. Slice into 1/4" pieces.
- Place flour into a pie plate or shallow bowl.
- In another pie plate or shallow bowl add the milk. Whisk the eggs into the milk.
- In a third pie plate or shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Coat the zucchini sliced in the flour. Make sure you get the flour on all sides.
- Next, dip the zucchini in the milk mixture, coating completely.
- Lastly, roll the zucchini in the bread crumb mixture.
- Working in batches if necessary, fry the zucchini slices for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once or twice. Transfer to a wire rack or a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve immediately with Ranch dressing if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.