This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
It’s not that I was searching for a recipe for copycat Burger King chicken nuggets. I was looking for any great recipe for chicken nuggets. It didn’t have to be a BK knock-off (though that it is a plus). The nuggets just needed to be tender, juicy and flavorful. And not soggy. Oh, please, no soggy nuggets! Well, I got everything I wanted in these nuggets. I loved them. They’re my go-to nuggets from now on, that’s for sure!
I made these copycat Burger King chicken nuggets as part of a test. I wanted to see if it was possible to make great, tender chicken nuggets at home, freeze them and then reheat them later. They had to still be tasty and moist when I re-heated them. They had to be better than the frozen nuggets I can buy at the store. And they were. These nuggets passed every test I had. I can now keep a big bag of pre-cooked (in my Fry Daddy fryer) homemade nuggets in my freezer, ready for lunch in just minutes. I just pop them into a preheated air fryer or oven for 10 minutes and boom! It’s time to eat!
Substitute Italian bread crumbs for a little different flavor.
Copycat Burger King Chicken Nuggets
- Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add in the chicken pieces and stir to coat well. I prefer to use my hands for this, ensuring that each and every piece is coated evenly in the mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
- In another medium bowl, stir together the breadcrumbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a few inches of oil to 350 F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven. While the oil is heating you can prepare the nuggets for frying.
- Working in batches, remove the chicken pieces from the flour mixture and shake off an excess.
- Transfer the chicken to the bowl containing the egg mixture. Turn the pieces to coat well.
- Shake off any excess and transfer the chicken pieces to the bowl containing the breadcrumbs.
- Turn the pieces to coat well. Get all sides.
- Fry chicken pieces 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack-lined baking sheet to drain.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.