Sure, I’ve made ABTs (atomic buffalo turds) on my smoker before. They’re a great appetizer, and a great cook’s snack, and also a great way to use up any free space you might have on your cooker when smoking ribs, pork, chicken or whatever. These Hawaiian ABTs bring a really nice sweet twist to the classic recipe for ABTs. Bacon and a bit of heat tamed by cream cheese and pineapple make for a can’t-get-enough treat. Perfect!
You can sprinkle the Hawaiian ABTs with your favorite rub before placing them on your smoker if you wish, but I’d do so sparingly. You really don’t want to hide the great flavors in these little morsels. A little extra heat wouldn’t hurt, but I emphasize ‘little’. Go easy on it.
I recommend that you use a grill basket when making this dish. It makes cooking easier and you don’t have to worry about anything falling through the grates. And cleanup is easier too!
If you by chance end up with leftover ABTs the next day, chop them fine and use them as the filling for the best grilled cheese sandwiches you’ve ever had. Or add to the tops of hot grilled burgers. You’ll thank me.
- 12 jalapeno peppers sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces cream Cheese softened to room Temperature
- 24 Slices bacon
- 24 pineapple cut to be slightly smaller than the size of the split Jalapenos
- several Toothpicks
- Half the jalapenos leaving the stem.
- With a spoon scrape out the seeds and veins, then rinse with water. NOTE: It is the seeds and the white veins that are the most SPICY. Remove as much as possible to make a milder version of this if you are serving a large crowd.
- Fill each jalapeno half with cream cheese, making sure to not overfill past the rim.
- Place a slice of pineapple in each.
- Starting at the bottom, wrap each stuffed jalapeno with bacon, add a toothpick to hold it together.
- Place ABT’s on the grill, indirect heat (Coals pushed to the side, peppers placed where there are no coals under the peppers.
- Grill until bacon is crisp about an hour to an hour 15 minutes. They can easily be done in a oven. (Not recommended: you will lose that wonderful smoky flavor)
- Remove toothpicks prior to serving
- Serve HOT and ENJOY (Everyone always does)!
Nutritional values are approximate.