Don’t you just love when an incredibly simple dish comes out so fantastic? I was looking for a little something to take to dinner at Anita’s sister’s house. Nothing big, just something fresh. Since strawberries were in season I picked up a few pints and made these delicious black pepper strawberries. The perfect combination of citrus and berry with a nice peppery twist. I even added a bit more pepper than the recipe called for (because I love freshly ground black pepper). Yummy!
You can’t skip on the time these black pepper strawberries need to sit in the fridge before you serve them. They need that hour to absorb some of pepper and citrus-flavored juices. Toss them just before serving.
You can use a sugar substitute if you wish.
Also try my strawberry cheesecake salad.
Black Pepper Strawberries
- 2 pints strawberries rinsed, dried, hulled and quartered
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Whipped cream
- Whisk the lemon juice, orange juice, sugar and pepper in a large bowl until combined.
- Add the strawberries.
- Toss gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve topped with whipped cream.
Nutritional values are approximate.