Wow. I seriously had no idea how easy it would end up being to make soft pretzel bites at home. I figured no way could the dough get right. No way would it have the same texture, the same flavor. No way could I have been more wrong. These little morsels of yumminess are out-of-this-world great. Add a little warm cheese sauce for dipping and I’ve got a plate of … well, pretzel bites that are going to disappear in a seriously mind-bogglingly-fast amount of time.
What’s easier than making dough in a bread machine? Nothing! Well, if i’m not making it. I can mess even that up. Not this time. The dough is amazing. It’s so light, fluffy. It’s actually fun to play with. And easy to work with too!
I preferred to butter my soft pretzel bites then return them to the oven. The original recipe called for buttering them after they were fully baked. I found them to be a little ‘wet’ no matter how conservative I would be with the melted butter. So, I brushed them and let them bake a little longer to ‘set’ the butter. I think they were perfect and Anita definitely agreed!
Also try my sourdough pretzel bites.
Soft Pretzel Bites
For the dough
For the dough
- Place warm water, flour, brown sugar and yeast into your bread machine in the order listed.
- Select dough cycle and let process.
- Flour a flat surface and turn the dough out into a large ball. Roll flat and cut into 8 equally-sized pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 12" rope about 1" thick. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Depending on how well I rolled my dough I got 6-8 bites out of each.
For the pretzel bites
- Bring 2 quarts of water and the baking soda to a fast boil.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Working small batches, add the dough pieces to the boiling water and boil for 10 seconds. Remove to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray or is lined with s silpat.
- Bake the bites for 10 minutes or until just turning brown.
- Lightly brush the bites with butter and sprinkle with salt. Return to the oven to get golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Nutritional values are approximate.