Wow. I cannot not stop talking about this Buffalo chicken soup. It is my favorite soup. Perfect for the cool weather. It’s like eating (my favorite) buffalo chicken wings, with celery and onion, and cheesy. Good, gooey, melted cheese.
I used some leftover fire-eater roasted chicken breast in this soup. The chicken has a nice kick to it, so the soup had a nice little kick to it too. If you use a pre-cooked chicken without any spice to it, you might want to add a bit of cayenne or hot sauce to the soup.
Buffalo chicken soup is even better the second day, if it lasts that long. Best served with my Buffalo chicken grilled cheese sandwiches.
Buffalo Chicken Soup
Wow. I cannot not stop talking about this Buffalo chicken soup. Perfect for the cool weather. It’s like eating Buffalo chicken wings, with celery and onion, and cheesy.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 2 cups chicken cooked, cubed. I used some leftover fire-eater roasted chicken
- 1/4 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1 1/2 cups extra-sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Note: I used leftover fire-eater chicken that has a nice kick to it. If you are using rotisserie or other ‘tame’ chicken you might want to add some hot sauce or cayenne to the soup for a little kick.
- Place butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Once melted, add the celery and onion and cook until both are tender.
- Stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the half-and-half and water.
- Add the bouillon and stir to dissolve.
- Add the chicken and wing sauce.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 56mg | Sodium: 401mg | Potassium: 170mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 557IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 197mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutritional values are approximate.