Oh my goodness. I was already a card-carrying meatloaf addict before cedar plank meatloaf came into my life. Now, my meatloaf obsession is completely out of control. Cooking on the cedar planks added a mild aroma and taste of cedar. Not overwhelming at all, the planks take meatloaf from simple-and-good to amazing-and-great.
You can use pretty much any meatloaf recipe you want, but keep away from recipes that produce a super soft or ‘runny’ meatloaf mixture. You’re not cooking your cedar plank meatloaf in a pan with sides. You don’t want your meat mixture finding its way off the plank into the grill so stick with one with some thickness to it. The recipe I used below makes for a firm meatloaf that is still amazingly moist and tender. It’s perfect on the grill and better in my tummy!
My cedar plank mashed potatoes go great with this meatloaf.
Cedar Plank Meatloaf
For the meatloaf
- cedar plank soaked in water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 14 ounce diced tomatoes with green chile peppers canned, not drained
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the topping
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Fire up your grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Remove the plank from the water and sear it on both sides over the flame. Get a nice char on it but don't burn it. Place on a large baking sheet and set up your grill for indirect cooking between 350-400 F.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining meatloaf ingredients.
- Transfer the meat mixture to the plank and form into a loaf.
- Transfer the plank to your grill over indirect heat. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Pour the topping over the meatloaf and spread out with the back of a spoon.
- Continue cooking until the meatloaf reaches at least 160 F, testing the temperature in the thickest part of the loaf.
- Remove and let rest 15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.