After making cedar planked Cajun mashed potatoes the other day, I just had to make traditional creamy mashed potatoes the same way. And although I love mashed potatoes right out of the pot, finishing them on cedar over a hot grill just takes them to a new wonderful place. A happy place. There’s a light aroma and flavor of cedar. Not overwhelming or overpowering at all. Really just perfect. And hey, mashed potatoes on a plank on grill looks cool. It’ll amaze your friends and neighbors!
Really, any good mashed potato recipe can be used here. Just make sure that the potatoes are somewhat firm or they’ll run off the plank. That would be a mess. A big mess.
I made these cedar planked creamy mashed potatoes on my just-refurbished 15 year-old Weber gas grill, but any good grill will do. Just make sure you have room for the plank.
Cooking on cedar planks can really change the ordinary into something special, which is why I do it often. Check out my other cedar plank recipes: Cajun mashed potatoes, Twinkies, beef sliders, chorizo portabellos, hot dogs, sausage sandwiches, shrimp and grits and spicy grilled shrimp.
Cedar Planked Creamy Mashed Potatoes
For the potatoes
- 5 pounds Russet potatoes quartered
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the chive butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- chives to taste (dry chives can be used instead of fresh)
- Soak a cedar plank in water.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes and boil until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and return to the pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and mash with a potato masher or hand mixer.
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Mound potatoes onto the plank and put onto the grill over indirect heat.
- After 15 minutes add small spoonfuls of the chive butter to the tops of the potatoes (make tiny indentations so the butter doesn’t run off) and cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
For the chive butter
- Mix all ingredients well. Don’t be shy with the chives.
Nutritional values are approximate.