It’s that great time of year when tomatoes are plentiful. And when I think tomatoes, I think BLTs. But not necessarily BLT sandwiches. These little chipotle BLT bites pack all the great flavors of a BLT sandwich in a single pop-in-your-mouth bite, and of course, they come with a little kick. They take a little time to make, but the effort is worth it. Scooping out cherry tomatoes is not necessarily the most fun thing to do, so grab your spouse and a few cocktails and make a party out of it. Or, use slightly bigger tomatoes and make the job easier.
The chipotle mayonnaise really makes these bites something fantastic. Sure, you can omit the chipotles and use just straight mayonnaise. Either way, they are great little appetizers for your next cookout or family get-together.
Looking for something a little more substantial than a lil ole bite? Try my bacon weave BLTs!
Chipotle BLT Bites
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes rinsed
- 1 cup romaine lettuce leaves chopped or torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chile or more in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- 6 slices bacon cooked, crumbled
- Lay the tomatoes out so they stand up. Cut about 1/3rd of the tops off and scoop out the insides (I used the tip of a small sharp knife).
- Place a small piece of lettuce inside each tomato.
- Combine the mayo and chipotle. We love chipotle, so I doubled the amount. Transfer to a pastry bag, and squeeze into each tomato.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt.
- Top each tomato with bacon.
Nutritional values are approximate.