It doesn’t take a whole lot of changes to make a pretty much run-of-the-mill pasta salad different. This Creole macaroni salad has buttermilk in the dressing, giving it that wonder tangy flavor. I love buttermilk so I instantly thought how great this salad would be with buttermilk fried chicken (and it was!). The salad also has tomatoes and (Anita’s favorite) olives. Her motto is: You can’t have too many olives.
This recipe comes from Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Cookbook, a huge book of everything barbecue. Get it. It’s packed with recipes like this great salad and whole lot more.
I would (and did) add more cayenne pepper to give this Creole macaroni salad even more kick. I think the dressing has a somewhat cooling effect, so a bit more heat isn’t going to hurt anything.
Creole Macaroni Salad
For the salad
- 1 pound elbow macaroni or whatever pasta you prefer
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup stuffed green olives halved
- Place all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl or resealable container.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving
Nutritional values are approximate.