I came across the idea for these slow cooker down-home chili dogs when I was researching inexpensive lunch ideas for a crowd. We were challenged to feed close to 50 people for less than $100 (before prices went crazy!). It didn’t have to be fancy. But it did have to be good. These dogs satisfied the criteria perfectly. They’re easy, taste great, and are easy to transport. Win!
Slow cooker down-home chili dogs are perfect for those lovers of sloppy, dripping, great dogs. You can also warm dogs in a slow cooker without any additional ingredients. Between the two you can feed a crowd, satisfying those chili dog lovers and those that prefer their dogs a little more ‘plain’. Just set up a dog bar nearby with ketchup, mustard, mayo (yes, mayo), chopped onion, jalapenos, cheese… all the favorites!
Slow Cooker Down-Home Chili Dogs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 small onion chopped
- 15 ounce tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Brown the beef in a skillet, breaking apart as it cooks. Drain.
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add the hot dogs. Top with the cooked beef. Sprinkle with the onion.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Pour over the hot dogs.
- Cover and cook on low 4-5 hours.
- Serve dogs on buns topped with the chili sauce and plenty of cheese.
Nutritional values are approximate.