I’m a huge fan of jalapeno poppers. A little heat, a little cheese (or a lot). Every bite packed with flavor. These jalapeno popper bites take that yummy concept and elevate it to true greatness. And they’re deep-fried. I mean seriously. I could eat an insane number of these. Don’t just double the recipe, triple it.
On the off-chance you have leftovers (only possible if you quintuple the recipe, in my opinion), these jalapeno popper bites reheat just fine. Just pop them in a 350 F oven for 5-10 minutes and devour!
I often look back at recipes and ponder “What could I do different?”. Not now. Not for this. These are perfect.
Also try my jalapeno popper deviled eggs.
Jalapeno Popper Bites
For the filling
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese freshly shredded
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 3 medium jalapeños seeded, minced
- 6 slices bacon cooked, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
For the flour mixture
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the egg mixture
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons water
For the breading mixture
- 1 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable or canola oil
For the filling
- In a large bowl combine the shredded cheese, cream cheese, jalapenos, cooked bacon, and garlic.
- Scoop out about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form it into a tight ball. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining cheese mixture.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill for 30 minutes.
For the assembly
- Set out three wide and deep plates. Pie plates work the best!
- First plate: Whisk together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Second plate: Whisk together the eggs and water.
- Third plate: Whisk together the bread crumbs, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the cheese balls from the freezer. Working in batches, and making sure you cover the balls completely at each plate, dredge the balls first in the flour mixture, then into the egg mixture, and finally the bread crumbs. Transfer to a wire-rack.
For the frying
- Heat up your deep fryer to 350 F.
- Working in batches, fry the cheese balls for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown, rotating as they cook. Transfer to a wire-rack to drain.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutritional values are approximate.