Search around these days and most people are making what are called ABTs (atomic Buffalo turds… I didn’t make up the name so don’t blame me!). They’re sliced (usually) stuffed jalapenos that are grilled or smoked. I love them. But sometimes I like mine the old way, as poppers. Cooked whole, not halved, and stuffed with all sorts of crazy goodness, wrapped in bacon, and grilled until perfect. That’s just what these cheesy jalapeno poppers are. Perfect.
The nice thing about these little treats is that after cooking the jalapenos mellow a lot. So yeah, they are a bit spicy but definitely not screaming hot by any stretch. And any heat that there is gets tamed down a bit by the cheeses and the bacon. Even if you don’t like spicy foods I would not let that discourage you from making these. You’ll still love them. And hey, if you’re still worried, have a little cool Ranch dressing ready on the side for dipping just in case.
Of course, cheesy jalapeno poppers give me an excuse to use my jalapeno popper rack. Not that I really needed an excuse.
Cheesy Jalapeno Poppers
For the jalapenos
- 12 large jalapenos
- 12 slices bacon
- your favorite BBQ seasoning
For the filling
- Combine all of the ingredients.
For the jalapenos
- Fire up your grill for indirect cooking.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture into the jalapenos. Use your finger to push the filling all the way to the bottom of the peppers, filling them completely.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each jalapeno and secure with a toothpick.
- Transfer the peppers to a rack on your grill and sprinkle with rub or seasoning.
- Cook 1-2 hours or until the peppers are tender, the bacon is cooked, and the filling is bubbly.
- Serve hot.
Nutritional values are approximate.