I needed a simple, yet tasty, dish for dinner the other night. I found a few things in the fridge, searched around online, and ended up making this not-quite-authentic-but-still-very-good dish. Cheater dirty rice and Andouille sausage hit the spot and did not disappoint.
If you can’t find Andouille sausage at your grocery store you can substitute smoked sausage. Andouille has a distinct, fantastic, flavor. Smoked sausage isn’t quite the same, but it’ll do in a pinch. You’re making cheater dirty rice and Andouille sausage, so you can cheat on the sausage too in a pinch.
Also try my copycat of Zatarain’s jambalaya.
Cheater Dirty Rice and Andouille Sausage
- Cook the rice per package instructions, substituting the chicken stock for water.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage and brown on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, and the remaining cup of broth. Stir. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir rice into the pan.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.