This easy sausage stromboli is called easy for a reason. We’d just gotten in from a long day and we were hungry and too beat to throw together a huge meal. But that doesn’t mean huge and lame. Just easy and fantastic. Yummy Italian sausage (spicy sausage makes it even better), pizza sauce and lots of ooey-gooey cheese all in crispy golden brown dough. Nothing fancy, nothing fru-fru, but definitely good and filling.
Don’t be afraid to add a little chopped bell pepper to the onion while it is cooking up. Don’t get it too soft though, you’ll still want a bit of crunch to it. If you have extra pizza sauce on hand warm it up and serve it on the side for dipping.
Easy Sausage Stromboli
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Saute the onion in a splash of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Crumble in the sausage and cook until done.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape in a 10″ x 13″ low-rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Sprinkle the dough with half of the mozzarella.
- Add sausage and drizzle with the sauce.
- Add remaining mozzarella.
- Roll the dough up working from the longest edge. Pinch the seam and edges, and place seam-side down onto the mat.
- Combine the topping ingredients and brush over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake for 18 minutes.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping if desired.
For the topping
Nutritional values are approximate.