This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see the disclosure for more information.
This easy sausage stromboli is called easy for a reason. We’d just gotten in from a long day and we were hungry and too beat to throw together a huge meal. But that doesn’t mean huge and lame. Just easy and fantastic. Yummy Italian sausage (spicy sausage makes it even better), pizza sauce and lots of ooey-gooey cheese all in crispy golden brown dough. Nothing fancy, nothing fru-fru, but definitely good and filling.
Don’t be afraid to add a little chopped bell pepper to the onion while it is cooking up. Don’t get it too soft though, you’ll still want a bit of crunch to it. If you have extra pizza sauce on hand warm it up and serve it on the side for dipping your easy sausage stromboli.
I highly recommend that you shred or grate your own cheese at home. Don’t buy the pre-shredded or pre-grated stuff. It has stuff added to it to keep it from sticking together. That ‘stuff’ affects how the cheese melts. Shred it yourself and use the good stuff.
Easy Sausage Stromboli
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Saute the onion in a splash of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Crumble in the sausage and cook until done.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangular shape in a 10″ x 13″ low-rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silpat.
- Sprinkle the dough with half of the mozzarella.
- Add sausage and drizzle with the sauce.
- Add remaining mozzarella.
- Roll the dough up working from the longest edge. Pinch the seam and edges, and place seam-side down onto the mat.
- Combine the topping ingredients and brush over the top of the dough.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and bake for 18 minutes.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with warmed pizza sauce for dipping if desired.
For the topping
Nutritional values are approximate.