I worked at a Baskin Robbins as a teenager. It is still one of my all-time favorite jobs. One of our biggest sellers (besides my awesome milkshakes) were banana sundaes. These are not those treats. We did not serve grilled banana sundaes at Baskin Robbins. We should have because they are crazy good! All the same flavors as the classic but with a nicely grilled ooey-gooey banana too!
Anita is not a fan of grilled bananas, specially if they get a bit soft. So, if you’re the same way, just use regular ole fresh bananas and you’ll still have a great dessert. I think the grilled bananas add a little mystique to the dish. Something different.
Substitute grilled Twinkies for the banana for a totally different twist on a sundae!
Grilled Banana Sundae
- 2 bananas
- 4 scoops ice cream Neapolitan works great!
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- 4 maraschino cherries
- peanuts toasted, chopped
- Start up your grill for direct cooking.
- While still keeping the skins on, cut the ends off of the bananas and then cut a slit into the skin, lengthwise. Do not cut all the way through the banana.
- Place the bananas on the grill and cook until one side is black.
- Flip and cook until the other side is black.
- Place ice cream into bowls.
- Unroll the bananas from their skins, halve, and place in bowls alongside the ice cream.
- Add chocolate syrup, whipped cream, cherries and peanuts and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.