One of the first recipes I made out of John Currence’s Big Bad Breakfast: The Most Important Book of the Day was homemade frosted corn flakes. As soon as I saw it I was like wow…. how cool would it be to eat a bowl of cereal that I made? So I did. And it was fantastic. So much more corn flavor than the stuff in a box! I mean they were super corny!
These homemade frosted corn flakes were also a lot crunchier than the ones out of a box. They can definitely hold up to milk. You know how with the store-bought flakes you only have a few minutes before you have bowl of soggy sadness. Not with these. You’ll be crunching until the last flake.
Homemade Frosted Corn Flakes
So much more corn flavor than the stuff in a box! I mean they were super corny!
Servings 4 cups
- 2 1/12 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup masa
- 6 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2-4 cups boiling water
- Preheat your oven to 250 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray the paper with non-stick spray.
- Combine the cornmeal, masa, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, vanilla extract, and all of the salt.
- Add 2 cups of boiling water and stir until blended. Add more water as needed, getting the batter to a consistency just a little thinner than that of pancake batter.
- Pour the batter out onto the lined baking sheet and spread out evenly. Try to get it as thin as possible (mine was a bit thick, but you’re aiming for 1/8″ if possible).
- Sprinkle the batter with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes. The batter will dry out and start to crack. If your batter is thick like mine you might have to bake it a little longer.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Break up the corn into bite-sized pieces. It’s like breaking up brittle, but you want smaller pieces.
- Return to the oven and bake another hour or until fully dried.
- Remove and let cool completely. The flakes will get a bit crunchier after cooling.
- Keep in an airtight container.
Calories: 449kcal | Carbohydrates: 90g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 30IU | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 4mg
Nutritional values are approximate.