To say I’m a huge fan of ‘fried’ chicken using a Vortex BBQ insert would be the understatement of the decade. I have several Vortexes (Vortices?), using them for everything from wings to potato wedges to this hot stuff chicken. This is easily some of the most flavor-packed, crunchy skin, moist chicken I’ve ever had. You just cannot beat the Vortex and chicken (and other things!)
Whenever I cook chicken on my Vortex I always give it a quick, light brushing of oil just at the end. This helps crisp up the skin. Some folks also recommend using spray duck fat or oil. Or butter. Whichever you use, it’s a good thing to do since it really makes great chicken into superb fried-like chicken. I brushed it on about 5 minutes before my hot stuff chicken was completely done and let it finish cooking. That’s all!
Also try my Vortex Alabama white sauce fried chicken.
Hot Stuff Chicken using the Vortex
For the chicken
- 4 large chicken thighs I prefer skin on, bone in. You can use other cuts of chicken if you prefer
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the marinade
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Teriyaki sauce
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Place chicken into a large resealable container or bag.
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients and add to the chicken. Seal and marinate at room temperature for one hour.
- While the chicken in marinating (about 15 minutes) fill your Vortex with charcoal and light.
- Place flour in a bowl or bag.
- Remove chicken from marinade and shake off excess. Transfer to flour and coat well. If using a bag just add, seal, and toss to coat. In a bowl turn the pieces in the flour to coat. Shake off any excess.
- Place chicken pieces around your grill with the bottom and top vents wide open. Close the lid and cook for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160 F. Turn the lid 90 degrees every 15 minutes to ensure even cooking.
- Lightly brush the tops of the chicken with oil. Cover and cook another 5 minutes. The chicken should be at least 165 F.
- Remove and serve.
Nutritional values are approximate.