True story. Before I got my first car I rode my bike everywhere. And I mean everywhere. And one of the places I would go was K-Mart. According to Google maps now, it was 5.6 miles one way. That’s a good haul, so I worked up an appetite. For me that meant time to get a sandwich at the retailer. Now these years later I can walk to my kitchen and make that same sandwich at home. These copycat K-Mart sub sandwiches taste just like the ones I had oh so many, many years ago.
These aren’t some fru-fru fancy sandwiches but they are super-tasty. They’re good eats, packed with meats and lots of flavor. These copycat K-Mart sub sandwiches hit the spot. They’re a great step up from just plain ole boloney and cheese, that’s for sure!
Also try my Philly style Italian hoagies.
Copycat K-Mart Sub Sandwiches
- plastic wrap
- Gently open the buns along the hinge. If they don't open easily use a sharp long knife to cut into them, but do not cut all the way through. Lay flat onto a work surface.
- Cut the meats in half. Also cut the cheese in half.
- Squirt the mustard in a wide 'V' pattern onto the tops and bottoms of the buns.
- On the top buns place 4-6 slices of the pickle.
- On the bottom bun put 4 salami halves, 2 bologna halves, 2 cheese halves, 2 ham halves, 4 slices of tomato, lettuce, and 4-8 of the pepper rings.
- Slowly close the sandwiches by pulling the top bun down. If the toppings start to slide out, push them back in with your hand or insert a long knife down the center of the sandwich to hold them in as you close the bun.
- Wrap the sandwiches in plastic wrap.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold.
Nutritional values are approximate.