I admit it, I was a bit skeptical when I read over this recipe for Mexican cornbread salad for the first time. Cornbread? Good. Ranch dressing? Good. But the two together? Hmmmm. Not so sure. But, it really came out very good. Why was I such a skeptic? Every bite has all of my favorite flavors.
Depending on who you’re serving this Mexican cornbread salad to, I’d add some pickled jalapenos , or add some Creole seasoning to the Ranch before using it. But, that’s just me. I like a little spicy kick to my dishes. Not too much, though.
For the cornbread mix I like to use Jiffy. But your favorite brand will work just as well, too.
Also try my quick and easy taco salads.
Mexican Cornbread Salad
- 1 8 1/2 corn bread mix
- Milk and eggs to make corn bread depending on the mix you’re using
- 1 4 ounce green chile peppers chopped
- 2 16 ounce pinto beans drained
- 1 16 ounce Ranch salad dressing
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 15 1/4 ounce sweet corn drained
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 6 slices bacon cooked, drained, crumbled
- 8 ounces extra sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- Make the cornbread batter per package instructions. Stir in the green chiles and bake as directed. Let cool.
- In a glass bowl, crumble half of the cornbread. Spread out evenly.
- Add layers of the following: 1 can of beans, 1 cup dressing, 1/2 of the green bell pepper, 1 can of the corn, 1 tomato, 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the cheese and half of the green onions.
- Repeat with another layer, starting with a layer of the remaining cornbread.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutritional values are approximate.