I ate my share of Manwich Sloppy Joes as a kid. I was quite sure I never ate enough of them. Well, I can certainly make up for lost time (and meals) now by making this copycat Manwich Sloppy Joes at home. And you know what? It’s even better than I remember. Perfect thick tomato-y sauce. Just a hint of onion and green bell pepper. And the light tang of mustard. And messy. The messier the better!
I do not add garnish to my copycat Manwich Sloppy Joes. Nothing. Nada. No pickles. Skip the extra mustard. And no cheese. Nothing needs to come between me and my Sloppy Joes.
If you think of Sloppy Joes as ‘kid food’ this will change your mind.
Also try my Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes.
Copycat Manwich Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounce tomato sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green bell pepper chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 4 hamburger buns
- You favorite toppings, optional shredded cheddar cheese, dill pickles, more prepared mustard
- Crumble the beef into a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute until browned.
- Drain any fat and add the remaining ingredients except the buns and garnishes.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Toast the buns as desired.
- Serve buns topped with Sloppy Joe mixture and garnishes.
Nutritional values are approximate.