I love my mom’s bean salad recipe. I’ve been eating it since I was a kid, even though I probably considered it a ‘weird’ food then. It’s simple but very good. I’ve found that it’s even better when it has been chilled until super-duper cold. After I make it I let it set in the fridge overnight before diving in. Well, ok, I have a few tastes first, but then I put it into the fridge.
You can use pretty much any beans you want, and you can skip the fresh carrots and use canned or frozen if you wish. Or substitute fresh beans for the canned and have a fantastic summertime salad. It’s ok if you change my mom’s bean salad. I won’t tell her.
I use a good quality vinegar for this salad and it comes out perfectly each and every time.
Also try Chez John’s Kaw-Cajun 4-bean salad. It’s unbelievably good.
Mom’s Bean Salad
- 1 pound carrots peeled, sliced thin
- 3 14 1/2 ounce wax and green beans drained. If you can't find the mixed can at your store, just buy 2 cans of wax beans and 1 can of green beans.
- 1 15 ounce kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a small pan or skillet of water to a boil. Add the carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Remove, drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Place cooked carrots, the wax and green beans, the kidney beans and the onion into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl whisk together the garlic, vinegar and oil. Add to the beans and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
Nutritional values are approximate.